- Having just come from having a wisdom tooth extracted - it took about 15 minutes in all and, while not totally pleasurable, was totally painless. Thank you Hr. Alfred Einhorn of Hamburg, Germany, for inventing Novocaine. Note that the reference on the inventors site has some dating problems ! Wikipedia is better. Before Novocaine I suppose one used alcohol, but before the advent of distillation getting sufficiently drunk might have been a very slow process.
- Heartfelt blessings to a surprisingly large variety of people for persisting in the idea of using water to flush toilets. The alternative (going out of the nice warm cave in the middle of a cold winters night) isn't very appealing!
- Talking about nice warm caves, we really all just live in (heavily personalised) caves, even now, so the next reason is definitely heating - central or otherwise. Anything to stop shivering!
- Electricity, to move power easily to where I want it.
- Computers, so I can work at home, learn at home, and read this (and the newspapers) wherever I wish.
- Whiskey in convenient bottles to help after tooth extractions. Life is suddenly fun !