Friday, January 08, 2010

How Come These don't come to the USA?

I was looking at the possibility of living in England again (for the first time in almost 30 yers, mind you) or, at least, in Europe (which might be better!). One thing I was looking at was, of course, a car. Now I'll freely admit to being a fan of Top Gear, but I can't see me ever getting a car loan for something like a Tesla. Here I drive a Subaru Impreza right now (although the AG would maintain that I rally it whenever she's in it!).
So, I started by scanning the hire car adverts to see what kind of cars were being hired out, on the assumption that fleets like Hertz go for cars that are relatively
inexpensive (lower insurance) and also pretty reliable (more up-time equals more potential revenue). I cme across a little 1000cc beast called the Ford Ka (named by a Bostonian?).

It looked very small, with just a 1000cc engine, but what the heck - I'd certainly try it out from a car hire company for a week or so, so I googled it ("Ford Ka") to find out more about it. There were the normal car magazine reviews, and also some youTube videos, which I ran in the hope of seeing some video of it in motion. Most of them were adverts from Ford - a series where a family of man-eating fluffy monsters are getting an impossible number of people from a Ka. Very funny and good for brand name reminders. There's also this clip that someone made, about the feeding habits of the Ka. Watch the intrepid pussycat and remember the warning "curiosity killed the cat"!

When your Dreams come Alive
For many years I've been a fan of the articles of Celia Walden, of the Daily Telegraph newspaper. Not content with being one of the best newspapers in print in the UK, the Telegraph has made a habit of being awarded Digital Publisher of the Year, etc. over the years that it has been on line. So it was somewhat of a surprise to see Piers Morgan on the Today show this morning (apparently he's been on all week, but I've been too busy to see it).

Surprise turned to outright shock when "Celia" stepped on-stage and I realised that it was Celia Walden. Afterwards I checked up, found a video on the Today show where he admits to having got engaged to Celia. Lucky guy!!

Strange Development of the Day
Here's a riddle: what can you read from that's transparent? Well, you'd probably say something like a tube monitor, 'cs the glass is transparent, and you'd be kinda right, but for all the wrong reasons!
ZDNet found this at the CES 2010 show. It's rather neat, but who really needs to see their keyboard when they're not using it? Maybe it's designed for those of us for whom "seeing really is believing" and "out of sight, out of mind" isn't just a proverb, and who have severe attacks of fear, uncertainty, and doubt whenever we can't actually see something. You know - those people who put cameras in the fridge to check whether the light really does go out when you close the door!

TTFN

No comments:

Found Food

I have published quite a few recipes here on my blog over the last few years, and I hope that all my readers have tried at least some of the...