Saturday, October 21, 2017

Cooking Cheese

It's called Baked Brie. 
I was recently on an engagement in Chicago and lucky enough to ask the hotel night staff as I arrived just after midnight, very early one Monday morning, about where I might get some food. So lucky, indeed, that they recommended Bijan's Bistro, which was just around the corner, one block from the hotel.


So, if you take a look at Chicago on Google Maps and compare it with the clip above, you'll find it. Baked Brie as a dish I already knew from living in Germany; I'd very seldom had it here in the USA, but the restaurant proclaimed itself as being European, so I tried it.
Very very good!
It's also very simple, so here's how I reproduced it:
Ingredients (for two people)
  • One small Brie, cut into eight pieces.
  • Two good handfuls of almonds. Half will be toasted.
  • A couple of dozen grapes.
  • Honey to taste.
  • Soppressata salami, sourdough bread, arugula (rocket) 
Method
  • Start the oven at 350F (175C)
  • Put four eighths on the Brie into each of two bowls. Make Maltese Crosses of them in order to allow space for the cheese to melt and run.
  • Sprinkle a quarter of the nuts over each bowl
  • Drizzle honey onto the cheese. 
  • Bake the bowls of cheese for about 10 minutes, until the cheese starts to run.
  • Slice fresh bread, soppressata to fill out the meal
  • Chop fresh green salad (I like rocket because it's sour, contrasting with the cheese and honey)
  • Toast the rest of the almonds
  • When the cheese starts to run, bring the bowls from the oven
  • Sprinkle the rest of the nuts and some of the grapes over the bowls



Arrange the ingredients around the bowls 

(which will be hot! Warn your guests!!!).

Serve

Enjoy.






TTFN





No comments:

Found Food

I have published quite a few recipes here on my blog over the last few years, and I hope that all my readers have tried at least some of the...