Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Why it's Good to live Today!

Every day we hear lamentations for "the good old days". Well, I'm not going to bother with answering any of those nostalgic dreams: I'm just going to give you a list of a few reasons why I think living today is better than it has been in the past. Contradictory views are encouraged!
  • Having just come from having a wisdom tooth extracted - it took about 15 minutes in all and, while not totally pleasurable, was totally painless. Thank you Hr. Alfred Einhorn of Hamburg, Germany, for inventing Novocaine. Note that the reference on the inventors site has some dating problems ! Wikipedia is better. Before Novocaine I suppose one used alcohol, but before the advent of distillation getting sufficiently drunk might have been a very slow process.
  • Heartfelt blessings to a surprisingly large variety of people for persisting in the idea of using water to flush toilets. The alternative (going out of the nice warm cave in the middle of a cold winters night) isn't very appealing!
  • Talking about nice warm caves, we really all just live in (heavily personalised) caves, even now, so the next reason is definitely heating - central or otherwise. Anything to stop shivering!
  • Electricity, to move power easily to where I want it.
  • Computers, so I can work at home, learn at home, and read this (and the newspapers) wherever I wish.
  • Whiskey in convenient bottles to help after tooth extractions. Life is suddenly fun !
TTFN

No comments:

Found Food

I have published quite a few recipes here on my blog over the last few years, and I hope that all my readers have tried at least some of the...